The syllabus covers the requirements of IMO MSC. CIRC. 1056 and MEPC/CIRC. 399. The course provides instructions concerning:
- Know how to distinguish the various types of ice.
- National, international and technical regulations regarding ice class ships.
- Symbols on ice charts and how to interpret them.
- A passage plan for ice covered regions.
- Handling a vessel in ice during open sea, channel and harbour/river passage with or without icebreaker escort.
- Shore support request.
- Preparing the vessel for ice and Polar Regions.
- Addressing ice related injuries.