Those who successfully complete this course should be able to undertake the duties and responsibilities of Ship Security Officer, as defined in the ISPS Code, which include, but are not limited to:
- Advising the level of security threats likely to be encountered by the ship, using appropriate security assessments and other relevant information.
- Ensuring the implementation and maintenance of the ship security plan. * Ensuring that the ship security plan, is modified, as appropriate, to correct deficiencies and satisfy the security requirements of the individual ship.
- Ensuring that the deficiencies and non-conformities identified during internal audits, periodic reviews, security inspections and verifications of compliance are promptly addressed and deal with. * Enhancing security awareness and vigilance.
- Ensuring adequate training for personnel responsible for the security of the ship. * Ensuring effective communication and co-operation with the relevant port facility security officers.
- Ensuring consistency between securing requirements and safety requirements.